Vehicle stickers & markings

Does the rules apply to me?

The best way to do this is to follow the Zimbabwe rules as it covers all countries requirements. So let’s break it down in smaller parts.

I have a video at the bottom that might also be useful. I will leave the official document in green.

So in this first section it is important to note that there is a difference between commercial and non commercial vehicles

Update as of January 2017


In terms of Statutory Instrument 154 of 2010, members are reminded that requirements for reflectors and other markings necessary, plus equipment to be carried by motorists in vehicles in Zimbabwe, include the following. All reflectors on vehicles in Zimbabwe must be of the honeycomb or diamond grade.

There has been some confusion on exactly what the requirement is for the rear of pickups, but this has been clarified as indicated and the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) are currently rigidly enforcing this requirement. (Note that Twin Cabs are also classified as commercial vehicles under SI 154.)


Fire extinguisher and triangles

I carry a 2.5 kg serviceable fire extinguisher. Also my first aid kit and Automatic External Defibrillator. 

Remember you need 2 red triangles per vehicle. If you are towing you need two for the towing vehicle and two for the trailer.

Requirements for all vehicles driven in Zimbabwe:-

1. 1kg serviceable fire extinguisher certified by Standards Association of Zimbabwe. (South Africa extinguishers appear to pass no problem as long as they are the correct mass – over 0.75kgs)

2. 2 x breakdown triangles, plus another two for any trailer or caravan towed.



I have found the honeycomb tape at AutoZone sold by the metre.

The officials does not have a lot of issues with the exact size but more the principal. If you have the right type of sticker at the right place it is good enough. You will notice I still have the old reflective tape on my vehicle, this has been superseded by the honeycomb.

The yellow stickers I have never bothered about because I do not tow. However if you are towing the choice is yours to have stickers or not. Most trailers and caravans already has the yellow stickers. 

3. Reflectors as follows, must be of ‘honeycomb’ or ‘diamond’ grade:

2 x white (60mm x 50mm) either side at front (or 60mm diameter if circular) for non- commercial vehicles.

2 x red (60mm x 50mm) at either side to rear (or 60mm diameter if circular) for non-commercial vehicles.

Continuous red reflector strip (50mm wide) to within not less than 400mm of the outer edges at rear for pickups and twin cabs and light trailers.

Continuous yellow reflector strip down sides of both vehicle and trailer if combined length is more than 8 metres.


Weight stickers on pick ups and double cabs.

This one you can print on your home printer and laminate. Then stick it on the passenger side with double sided tape. Commercial vehicles must be prepared to go on to scales and hence the vehicle masses must be visible from the scale operators booth on the passenger side. 

The vehicle weights are on the licence disk in the window.

4. GVM and NMV figures on left side of pickups and twin cabs.


And the rest.......

Trailers and caravans a red T at the back and white T on the front of the trailer.

The rest is fairly standard.

5. Trailers to have a reflective white ‘T” and a reflective red ‘T’ (honeycomb type) on a black background facing to the front and rear of the trailer respectively.

6. All vehicles must have a serviceable spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner.

It should be noted that reflectors are not required inside vehicle doors and nor is there any requirement to carry reflective jackets in ordinary private vehicles – although it does make sense to carry one in case of an emergency.

Some other vehicle battery info.

So far as batteries are concerned the relevant section is 56 (1) (c) which states that ‘No person shall operate on a road a motor vehicle unless the electrical wiring and battery are properly installed, insulated and maintained so that such wiring and battery do not constitute a source of danger’. It should be obvious if a clamp or similar securing device is missing from the vehicle but I admit that ‘should’ doesn’t always apply.

If travelling in a bakkie or twin-cab. These are classed as commercial vehicles in S.I. 154. The requirement is set out in Section 38. It calls for a continuous strip of red reflective material, not less than 50mm in width, fixed to the rear of the vehicle(!) and extending horizontally to indicate the vehicle’s width to within 400 mms on either side. The problem of ‘Diamond Grade’ material is found in Section 32 of the regulations read with the Third Schedule. Essentially this is the highest grade of reflective material and I doubt that it is always freely available. The only solution seems to be to go to reputable motor spares suppliers to try to find some.

‘Spot Fines’ do not exist without an official receipt – Form Z69(j) – Admission of Guilt. If you do not wish/cannot pay on the spot you should ask for a form 265 for payment at any police station within 7 days. You are entitled to be given the force number of any police officer you deal with.

Yellow triangles on blue

This is not a Zimbabwe requirement but a Mozambique requirement. It shows the towing of a trailer. You need the sticker on the front of the towing vehicle facing forward and the back of the towed vehicle facing back.

And Finally the ZA

The ZA sticker is not mentioned often but it does appear on vehicles a lot, hence I would suggest sticking one on just not to attract to much attention. It goes on the back of the vehicle facing back.